Thursday, November 3, 2016

IPL Story - Founding member of The IPL Collaborative, Stacy McDonald, PhD

“Unfortunately, your test came back positive…for Trisomy 18.” Those are words that you never want to hear from a genetic counselor following a free-cell fetal DNA test.  I was 36 years old and 15 weeks pregnant at the time I received that phone call.  As my mind was reeling, I listened as the genetic counselor explained that most babies diagnosed with Trisomy 18 don’t survive pregnancy. 

Of those who make it full-term, half are stillbirth, and of the babies who make it to a live birth—approximately 95% die before their first birthday due to serious health issues.  I felt like someone had knocked the wind out of me.  I’ve never felt emotional pain like that before.  I had to run upstairs and somehow maintain my composure, as our 4- and 6-year old daughters were home with me at the time.  They didn’t know that I was pregnant.  We were cautious about sharing our good news with family and friends this time around.  I don’t
have a logical explanation for this, but for some reason, I didn’t have a good feeling about this pregnancy from the beginning and I think we were being cautious as a result.  For our girls in particular (who had been asking for a baby sister or brother for months), we felt a need to protect them from any possible pain should something happen during my pregnancy.  I remember thinking that once the test results were back and we knew everything was okay, we could tell them.  I looked forward to that moment. 

Following the test results, my husband and I now had a dramatic shift in perspective.  We went from thinking of names and wondering who the baby would look like and imagining how much our daughters would love their new sibling to the reality of carrying a baby that we knew was going to die at some point during the pregnancy, or giving birth to a baby with serious medical issues who would suffer and likely not make it out of the NICU. 

Since the free-cell fetal DNA test was a “screening” test (not a diagnostic test), we made an appointment for an amniocentesis to confirm the diagnosis.  Our appointment was three days later--the hardest three days of my life.  In that three days, I read everything that I could about Trisomy 18 and the reliability of free-cell fetal DNA tests and prayed for a miracle that somehow the results were a false positive.  Rationally, I knew that the chance of this was slim to none, but I prayed for it anyway. My husband and I arrived at the appointment for the amniocentesis, and had an ultrasound before the procedure.  Within 30 seconds, the ultrasound technician told us that we wouldn’t be doing the test because the baby didn’t have a heartbeat.  Again…words that expectant parents never want to hear. 

Everything seems to remind me of our loss…seeing a family with 3 children…seeing a baby boy (we were having a boy)…seeing a pregnant woman…having to prepare and give lectures on prenatal development and the influence of maternal age.  I am writing this post on my due date--November 2, 2016.  This was a tough day for me.  A good friend took charge and made sure that I wasn’t alone today.  I’m so thankful for that.  I’ve made a lot of progress in the past few months and my “moments” have become less frequent and less intense.  So, yes, it does get better with time.  However, when today came, I wasn’t quite prepared for the raw emotions that poured out of me.  Today was a reminder of what could have been, which I think is one of the hardest parts of pregnancy loss—the loss of all of the hopes and dreams for who this little person could have been.

As for my healing process…I can say that my husband has been (and remains) a constant source of strength for me.  We may grieve differently and at different times, but we remain strong for one another during our individual moments of weakness.  I recognize how lucky I am to have him in my life.  Every phone call, text, gift, hug, or word of encouragement from a family member or friend helped me more than they will ever know.  Every conversation that I had with someone who shared their own story with me made me realize that my loss was real and my feelings are valid. 

Am I blessed to have two healthy, incredible children?  Absolutely!  This experience has made me realize what a miracle it actually is to create and give birth to a healthy baby.  So many things must align perfectly for that to happen, which we don’t seem to think about until something goes terribly wrong.  Each new day gives me another chance to be thankful for the two miracles that we were blessed with.  Every time I pray, I thank God for bringing them into the world. 

Although each of us has a unique pregnancy loss story, the one thing that we all have in common is our loss.  Loss of a life that we created…loss of the hopes and dreams that we had for who he/she would grow up to be.  Regardless of how or when we experienced our loss, or the life circumstances surrounding it, it is a profound and life-changing experience that we should be able to talk about.  The purpose of this blog is to break the silence surrounding pregnancy loss and give people a safe outlet to share their story and receive support.  Hopefully, we can be a source of strength and hope for one another.  Thank you for taking the time to read my story.  Please share your own story with us!


8 comments:

  1. Stacy, thank you for sharing your story. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy, I am so moved by your words and your story. Thank you for sharing it with us, and please accept my heartfelt condolences. Wishing you and your family the best this month and always. -Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy, I am so sorry for this loss of "what could have been..." -- the potential -- for you and your family. So many have never experienced severe grief, and thus, are unable to reach out and comfort those who are physically without blemish. They can't see past the visual. Many people are totally unaware of the broken heart that continues breaking in waves and waves over time. I believe healing comes when the grief is acknowledged and discussed openly, yet so many women bear this burden without the support of family and friends. Why? Sometimes, I imagine, it is the woman's choice not to share her pain. Other times, I believe fear of the loss being taken lightly by others holds women back from sharing -- "Oh honey, just try again, you still have time". Others don't always understand that the loss was unique and the next child, if there is one, will be a different individual! Hope I made some sense. Thank you for sharing your story. Thank you for inviting others to share their stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful story!!! Thanks Stacy for sharing your story. I hope your touching story will give others comfort in knowing they are not alone in their pain and grief. All my love, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know if I can write my entire story, it is almost too incredible to be true, but sadly, it is. I lost four babies, 3 to stillbirth and 1 to early miscarriage, in the mid 1990s. This was after my son and oldest daughter were born (1991 and 1993). To this day I believe I lost my babies due to a curse someone put on me (which she mailed to me at my home). This was a woman who hated me for personal reasons which never made sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (continued)...On April 19, 1995 I learned my daughter Rachel had died in utero during a routine ultrasound. I chose to let nature take its course, and on the 27th, labor began. I gave birth to Rachel, and my father arranged her burial.

      I went on to lose 3 more babies..the next was at 9 weeks, the next was 18, and the next was 22. The last baby really left my maternal-fetal medical OBGYN looking white as a ghost; he said the cord was wrapped around her neck 4 times, and had 4 knots in it. Interestingly, the curse that had been mailed to me showed a chain locked with a padlock, 4 broken arrows inside the chain, and a key near the padlock.

      During the course of going to various doctors to try to find out why this was happening, 4 in a row, after I'd had 2 healthy pregnancies, I met a reproductive geneticist who did every test she knew of with no results. Finally I told her of the curse. She closed her door, sat down, and said what she was saying to me was off the record because as a scientist she was not supposed to believe this way. She was Jewish, and so was I. She urged me to seek out a Kabalistic rabbi because they are known for being able to remove curses.
      I did just that, I found Rabbi Ariel bar Tzadok in Chicago, he told me to pray Psalm 91 and Ps 3 and to firmly believe they would lift the curse.

      A few months later I became preg again and when I went to my dr he looked like he wanted to die. I told him this baby would live.

      7 months later I gave birth to a happy, healthy daughter, my last....during the delivery, my uterus had a catastrophic rupture due to my 2 prior C sections, and they had to do an emergency Csection and emergency hysterectomy. I later learned such an occurrence is extremely rare, even more rare when the baby survives without brain damage due to loss of oxygen. But we both survived in perfect health.

      Years later: the reproductive geneticist who advised me to seek out a rabbi, ended up becoming a rabbi herself and left the medical field. I ended up becoming a Catholic.
      What caused my babies to die? I will never know whether it was just meant to be, the curse, or my belief in the curse.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete