Wednesday, February 21, 2018

RESPONSE TO TOP TAKE-AWAY: ONE WOMAN’S EXPERIENCE WITH BIOCHEMICAL PREGNANCY

In response to our blog post last week, “Top Take-Aways: Biochemical Pregnancy,” this week we are highlighting some commentary from one of our readers on her experience with biochemical pregnancy.  We were particularly moved by her overall thoughts on biochemical pregnancy.  She wrote, 
“Chemical pregnancy is super awkward. You feel silly for being sad and doctors don’t address it as a real loss, so you’re in this weird limbo.”
Here are some of her responses to a few questions about biochemical pregnancy.  Please feel free to share your experiences with biochemical pregnancy in the comments below.  

Were you aware of the term biochemical pregnancy prior to your diagnosis?
...After [my first biochemical pregnancy] I had no clue what a chemical pregnancy was. I actually had to google miscarriages and match my situation to the one that seemed the most similar. The nurse at my doctor’s office did not address it... She just said to treat it as a menstrual period and never mentioned a chemical pregnancy at all. 

How did your doctor handle the discussion of your biochemical pregnancy?
I spoke to a nurse at my doctor’s office... and she left me more confused and wasn’t really willing to answer any questions I had. 

How did the diagnosis make you feel?
After [my first biochemical pregnancy] I was left feeling super confused and since we [had been trying to conceive] for two years at that point we both felt very lost. I felt like being upset and sad were not the correct feelings to have ... but at the same time, the second I received the positive test my mind started planning the future that we weren’t going to have.

How do you feel about the benefits of early detection pregnancy tests vs. the possible risk of being aware of an early loss?
As hard as it is to [experience loss], I think I would rather know than never know at all. After two years of trying, we thought we wouldn’t be able to have kids and the chemical pregnancy was assurance that we were capable, it just wasn’t the right time.

Chemical pregnancy is indeed early pregnancy loss. The concept is not well known and is often not recognized as a miscarriage.  It is important to know that any emotional response you have to such an experience is a valid response to a real loss.  

No comments:

Post a Comment