Wednesday, November 30, 2016

IPL Story - Founding member of The IPL Collaborative, Kimberly Dasch-Yee, PhD

I plan everything. So, when I found out I was pregnant in October 2012, I was thrilled that the baby would be born in June 2013. I am a professor, and this meant the baby would be born during my more flexible time of year.

Around 6 weeks, I started spotting. It was light at first, so I tried to desperately hold on to hope. My husband tried to help me stay calm, and together we tried to convince ourselves it was going to be okay. By the morning, it was becoming clear that it was probably not going to be okay… at least not for this pregnancy. After talking with the obstetrician’s office, we ended up going to the Emergency Department, where we were told there was no heartbeat.
We returned home, and sat sadly on the couch. I remember realizing that my husband, who I had very rarely seen sad, had tears in his eyes. I was reassured that we were feeling the same emotions, but I was also overcome with sadness that someone I care so much about was feeling so sad, too. We decided we had to get off the couch and do something, so we planned to go out to eat that night at a restaurant near us that specifically states that no strollers are allowed, thinking that would reduce our chances of seeing babies. There was an adorable, sweet little girl eating dinner with her parents next to us at the restaurant that night – I hoped very much that no one could see me crying.

I understand that I was only six weeks pregnant, and I only knew about the pregnancy for about two weeks. So, in theory, it shouldn’t have affected me as greatly as it did. But it takes very little time to begin to imagine the baby’s life – where that baby would go to school, what that baby would like to do, where we would go as a family (to restaurants near our house, and all eat together on a Friday night) – and it is difficult to let go of those fantasies. The miscarriage also made me fearful that we would not be able to have children. It made me realize that this was one thing in my life that I was not going to be able to plan. And it made me nervous about trying again.

However, in May 2013, we found out we were pregnant again. Twice during that pregnancy, I had light spotting. Both times I frantically called the obstetrician’s office in a panic, convinced that I was experiencing a miscarriage again. Both times I was rushed in for an ultrasound. Both times we saw our daughter’s heartbeat! The pregnancy continued to be eventful, however. Our tiny 3 pound 1 ounce daughter was born at 32 weeks in December 2013, after I spent several weeks in the hospital because of preeclampsia. The series of events leading up to her birth, and the four weeks following her birth in the Intensive Care Nursery, were anxiety-provoking. I repeatedly stated that there was no way I could go through a pregnancy again – a fact that made me sad, because I very much wanted our daughter to have a sibling. But I didn’t think I could go through all that again.

Of course, after a few years, I decided that the joy that my daughter brought to our lives was worth all the anxiety leading up to her birth, so we decided to try to get pregnant again. Because I had not yet fully learned my lesson the first time, I tried to plan the pregnancy around my work schedule. When we learned that we were pregnant in August 2016, and the due date was in May, I was optimistic that this would be a pregnancy I could plan around. I once again had light spotting early on, and though I was initially panicked, I was able to convince myself to wait to see if the spotting became worse or not (it didn’t!) before more calmly calling the doctor’s office. We had our first ultrasound at 10 weeks, 6 days, when we learned we were having twins. That was something I had not planned on! And a few weeks later we learned they were identical Mono-Di twins (where they share a placenta, but have their own amniotic sac). We were told this means that it is safest that our babies are born earlier than 40 weeks – and not past 37 weeks. And of course having twins increases the risk of many of the complications we had with our daughter, including premature birth and preeclampsia. So, it is clear that I need to learn again that pregnancies and babies are not something that I can plan.

I had this impression that most women get pregnant relatively easily. Once they have a positive pregnancy test, they begin excitedly planning for the baby that is to come. They then move through their uneventful pregnancies, and give birth on “the best day of their lives”. On this day, the baby arrives in a way and around a time that the parents have planned, and the mom is the first person to (joyfully!) hold the baby immediately after their birth. Of course, that is not the case for many of us. And the more I talk to other women about it, the more I realize how very wrong my impression was.

Regardless of your situation, regardless of what you have experienced, I hope you find something validating, helpful, and hopeful, on this blog. Please share your stories with us – we’d love to be able to continue to share the experiences of those who have experienced pregnancy loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment